The Great Generation

|
Day Two.

Today came on a lot easier than yesterday did.  I think having my groceries, my "menu" if you will, laid out for me really helped.  My two eggs for breakfast were delicious, and in case you didn't know, eggs are pretty much perfect: super cheap, ($1.33 for the carton!  Only .11 cents a piece, yahoooo), left me feeling semi-full, and packed with a decent amount of protein in that tiny little shell.

Tuesdays are always my busiest, so I ate a banana on the go.  And just for creative measure, I ate the exact same dinner as last night.  (But don't worry!  I plan on breaking out those black beans tomorrow.)

I decided to splurge since it's day two and I'm doing pretty good, I ate a couple m&ms for dessert, but I subtracted a nickel from my budget, and I still have .29 cents left for the night, in case I need a midnight snack!

As it turns out, the college life is really fantastic preparation for living below the line.  This isn't the first time I've survived off of ramen.... but still, it makes me look forward to that gigantic home-cooked meal I'm going to have at the end of the week, and guilty because I know I'm doing this for those who don't have that big meal to look forward to.  Bittersweet, but I'm so thankful for my situation!  It only makes me want to support the Global Poverty Project and their efforts to alleviate global poverty that much more.

Kris suggested that next year I should just make a big bowl of spaghetti or macaroni with my $7.50 and eat a little serving a day.  Not a bad idea, what do you guys think?

Thanks again for all of your support & kind consideration!  Remember, if you have $1.50 of your own, please consider donating to the Global Poverty Project -- I've pledged to raise $150 for them, here.

"Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice.  Like slavery, and Apartheid, poverty is not natural.  It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings.  Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great.  You can be that great generation.  Let your greatness blossom." - Nelson Mandela

Chelsea

0 comments:

Post a Comment